- Examine all factors that inhibit the enjoyment of rights of children affected natural disaster by, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS, trafficking, maltreatment, torture and exploitation, pornography, prostitution, terrorism, communal violence riots and recommend appropriate remedial measures.
- Look into matters relating to children in need care and protection, including children in distress, marginalized and disadvantaged children, children in conflict with law, juveniles, children without family and children of prisoners and recommend appropriate remedial measures.
- Undertake periodic review of existing state policies, programmes and other activities on child rights and make recommendations for their effective implementation in the best interest of children.
- Undertake and promote research in the field of child rights.
- Spread child rights literacy among various sections of society and promote awareness of the safeguards available for protection of these rights through publications, media, seminars and other available means.
- Inquire into complaints and take sue moto notice of matters related to:
- Deprivation and violation of child rights.
- Non implementation of laws providing for protection and development of children.
- Non compliance of police decisions, guidelines or instructions aimed at mitigating hardships, ensuring welfare of children, provide relief to such children or take up the issues arising out of such matters with appropriate authorities.